Saturday, August 14, 2010

Childhood Songs I Want to Pass On to my Kids

My most vivid memories of childhood are the songs we used to sing when we were out of games to play, or while we were picking flowers, or while we were engrossed in pounding leaves in making soapy liquid for a make-do blowing bubbles.

During Paolo's childhood, I sang these songs to make him sleep during electricity-less evenings when the stars are at their brightest and the wind blowing gently to our wide-opened sliding window (I love that window from my old home). That was fun and very intimate. I love him so much I precious those moments with him. It was already part of my 'happy memories' which is why I also do the ritual to my lovely little girl, Felicci. Too bad, the windows were not there anymore for us to watch the starry skies during those brownout moments. You see, we now live in Olongapo City where brownouts are frequent.

Anyway, the songs:

BAHAY KUBO

Bahay kubo kahit munti
ang halaman doon ay sari-sari:
singkamas at talong
sigarilyas at mani
sitaw, bataw, patani

kundol at patola
upo't kalabasa
at saka mayroon pa
labanos, mustasa

sibuyas, kamatis
bawang at luya
sa paligid-ligid
ay puno ng linga.



PARU-PARONG BUKID

Paru-parong bukid
na lilipad-lipad
sa gitna ng daan
papaga-pagaspas

Sangdangkal ang tapis
sangdangkal ang manggas
ang sayang de kola
sampiyesa ang sayad

May paineta pa siya (Uy!)
may suklay pa mandin
Naguas de Oretes
ang palalabasin

Haharap sa altar
at mananalangin
at saka lalakad
ng pakendeng-kendeng.



LERON-LERON SINTA

Leron-leron sinta
buko ng papaya
dala-dala'y buslo
sisidlan ng bunga
pagdating sa dulo
nabali ang sanga
kapos kapalaran
humanap ng iba.

Ako'y ibigin mo
lalaking matapang
ang baril ko'y pito
ang sundang ko'y siyam
ang lalakarin ko'y
parte ng dinulang
isang pinggang pansit
ang aking kalaban.

more next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment